The park’s name is derived from the nearby Queensboro Bridge, the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge, and the 59th Street Bridge. The 1960s rock band Simon and Garfunkel have made the bridge famous through their hit song “Feelin’ Groovy,” often known as “The 59th Street Bridge Song.”
Dr. Thomas Rainey (1824-1910) was a resident of Ravenswood, Queens, who was a part-time resident for the better part of 25 years and spent the majority of his cash advocating the construction of a bridge that crossed the East River connecting Manhattan and Long Island City. The present site in Rainey Park (just to the north) was the Queen’s anchor for this structure, later named Blackwell Island Bridge. The bridge, constructed with ramps that would lead south toward Brooklyn and another ramp to Long Island, was promoted as a catalyst to encourage Queens’s development and as a railway connection with Long Island. The plan was demolished by the economic Panic that occurred in 1873. Most people living in the area desired the possibility of a bridge connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. The very small population of Queens in the early days led to greater concerns about the necessity of the bridge and its economic benefits.
On the 19th of July of 1901, the building of Queensboro Bridge officially began. Queensboro Bridge officially began. However, it took a few years before significant progress was achieved. A famous Bridge engineer, and City Bridge Commissioner, Gustav Lindenthal (1850-1935), worked with architect Leffert. Buck (1837-1909) and other Williamsburg Bridge designers and builders built Queensboro Bridge. Queensboro Bridge. It wasn’t finished until 1906, after many delays, including the long steel strike.
The last link in the construction of Queensboro Bridge was completed in March 1908. The bridge was open to traffic for $20 million the following year. The initial design for the bridge included a motor vehicle, which had six lanes, and four trolley tracks. Two subways were elevated, and a path for pedestrians and cyclists. Through the 30s, the bridge’s connections to Manhattan transformed Queens from an outpost in the middle to a borough with over two million residents in the 1950s. The year 1957 marked when the last trolley trains crossed across Queensboro Bridge. Queensboro Bridge and the bridge were modified to allow ten lanes of motor car traffic. H&J Long Island Junk Removal
The City of New York acquired the land now Queensbridge Park in two sections in 1939. In addition, the adjacent Queensbridge Houses granted the New York City Housing Authority the right to use the land. It was also stipulated that NYC Parks would maintain it. In 1975, a portion of the property was transformed into parking spaces under the direction of the Bureau of Property Management. This park has various facilities, including football fields, soccer, and football field, volleyball, basketball, and handball courts. It also has an outdoor playground with swings, seesaws, and the jungle gym—comfort stations with seating and picnic areas, pathways with greenery, trees, and walkways.
Address: Vernon Blvd, Long Island City, NY
Explore other attractions that are like Flux Factory