The Pepsi-Cola signage is visible within Gantry Plaza State Park in Queens’s Long Island City, New York City. The sign, seen from Manhattan and on the East River, was built in the year 1940. It was first erected over PepsiCo (previously Pepsi-Cola)’s bottling facility nearby. It comprises a fifty-foot (15 millimeters) representation of a Pepsi bottle, as well as letters that reflected its logo PepsiCo when it was first introduced. Following its completion, the sign of Pepsi-Cola was likely manufactured by The General Outdoor Advertising Company and was New York state’s most extended electronic sign. The design of the bottle changed between the 1970s and the 1980s, and Artkraft Strauss Sign Corporation rebuilt the sign, which was in disrepair, in 1993. Following it was discovered that the Pepsi facility was shut down in 2003, the sign was moved to the Park. The sign was relocated into the park in 2003. New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission began hearings about declaring the sign as an official landmark for the city in 1988. However, it wasn’t officially recognized until the year 2016. H&J Long Island Junk Removal
Following its completion, The Pepsi-Cola sign was likely manufactured by The General Outdoor Advertising Company and was New York state’s longest electric sign. The bottle’s design was altered in the 1970s, and Artkraft Strauss Sign Corporation rebuilt the sign in 1993. Following that, the Pepsi facility was closed in 2003; the sign was moved into a park in the city. The sign was relocated to the park in 2003. New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission began hearings on the need to declare the sign as an official city landmark in 1988. However, it wasn’t officially designated until the year 2016.
Long Island City was developed to be an industrial and commercial city in the late part of the plate 19th and the beginning of the 20th century because it was near Manhattan and along the East River. It was also located near it was also near the East River. Pepsi-Cola was one of the firms that constructed production facilities within Long Island City. In 1937, the company purchased three acres of property across the East River from Socony-Mobil to expand its Queen’s operations. The company previously ran another plant in the inland portion between 47th and 33rd Street.
The sign was put up on top of Pepsi’s Long Island City plant on August 30, 1940, as part of the expansion phase of the facility. It was widely hailed as being New York state’s longest electrical sign. Documents show that authorities endorsed it from the New York City Department of Buildings which granted a permit for the sign-in on the 20th of May, 1940. The sign’s construction started with companies involved in the construction of industrial buildings within Long Island City installing significant signs on their buildings, which would be visible from Manhattan and The Queensboro Bridge, the Long Island Rail Road, and an elevated New York City Subway lines. The city’s rules include the 1916 Zoning Resolution, which banned commercial signs in residential areas. They also later limited their size to 500 square feet (46 square meters)) as well as their maximal size up to 40ft (12 twelve meters) over the curb. The rules had a significant impact on the location of these signs.
Address: 4-09 47th Road, Long Island City, New York
Explore other locations like Queensbridge Park