Gantry Plaza State Park is 12 acres (4.9 square acres) State park that extends through the East River in the Hunters Point section of Long Island City, New York City in the borough of Queens. The park is situated within an old dockyard and an industrial zone and contains remnants of several structures used prior. The most prominent aspect of this park is Gantry, with its bridges connecting vehicles powered by barges that transport freight railcars that come in Queens and Manhattan.
The park’s southern portion was previously a docking area and was later remodeled into “contained apron” transfer bridges constructed under James B. French. James B. French patent. They were built in 1925 to demolish the railway car floatings and transfer them to serve businesses in Long Island via the Long Island Rail Road’s North Shore Freight Branch, which was originally located on the south-facing portion of 48th Avenue (now part of Hunter’s Point Park). The northern portion of Gantry Plaza State Park was an older PepsiCo bottling facility, which closed in 1999. The branch was intended for transport that was lower than street level. It was completed by the year 2000.
The park has a length of 120 feet (37 meters) and a 60-foot high (18 meters) cursive neon-colored red-colored Pepsi-Cola-colored metal signage created in 1939 by the General Outdoor Advertising Company 1939. It was brought back by Artkraft Strauss in 1993. The sign was placed over the bottling facility before being removed and relocated to its permanent location in the park. The Pepsi-Cola emblem was officially declared an official New York City landmark on April 12, which is the 12th of April of 2016.
The park first opened in May 1998. The park was completed on July 31stof, 2009. As per the Queens West Development Corporation, the park will be constructed in stages. Thomas Balsley designed the original section of Gantry Plaza State Park with Lee Weintraub, both New York City landscape architects, and Richard Sullivan, an architect. Stage 2 is the brand-new 6-acre (2.4 acres) area of the park, designed with the help of New York City landscape architecture firm Abel Bainnson Butz and the first part of Stage 2 was inaugurated in July 2009. Gantry Plaza State Park in Long Island, NY is expected to encompass 40 acres (16 ha) within the park once it’s complete.
In Popular Culture
- Gantry Plaza State Park tour is shown in a ninety-five-minute duration in the film of 1969 made by Olsen and the banden. The Olsen Gang in a Fix.
- The film Munich was the final scene that was shot in 2005. The pier and the Pepsi-Cola sign in north-central Florida are featured in the movie. H&J Long Island Junk Removal
- The exact location was utilized. This exact spot was utilized for The Interpreter. In the final scene, Nicole Kidman bids farewell to her character Sean Penn, sitting on the fence that leads into Gantry Park. It is also visible that the Pepsi-Cola signboard located in the bottling plant can be seen.
Explore other communities that share an identicality to